If you need a meter for your electricity or a new service line, here's where to get going.
Installing a new electricity meter?
Already have what you need?
Or want to request a new meter but need some tips on the process? Follow these four steps:
View each step below to learn more.
What to submit
You may need to ask your electrician or builder for help in completing the meter and supply details on the customer application form. This will assist the quoting process.
For an Installation request in NSW you’ll need:
- A completed customer application form, including the details of a level 2 electrician (known as an Accredited Service Provider, ASP).
- Completed Distributor document/s (to be made available onsite), which may include (depending on your Distributor):
- Ausgrid network: Contract Notification Letters (CNL)
- Endeavour & Essential networks – Permission to Connect (PTC)
Unsure who your Distributor is? Find out here.
How to apply:
Complete the application form and send it back via mail, email or fax. Details can be found on the form.
AGL is responsible for validating your application. Your application will be processed in 3-5 business days.
Please complete all the necessary information on the form so we can process it as quickly as possible. If anything is missing, we’ll contact you or your electrician/ASP. Please note your application will be ‘on hold’ until any required additional information is received. We’ll also contact you if your request attracts any non-standard charges.
Issuing a service order
Once all information is received, we’ll raise the request with your Distributor and Meter Service Provider. Once the request has been accepted, we will send you an SMS confirmation.
To complete the installation, please ensure the following:
- A clean site free from rubbish
- Clear access to the meter box
- Unlocked gates
- A safe environment (nothing to prevent installation such as a loose switchboard, exposed wires or a point of attachment that is too high or low).
If the site is in a satisfactory condition, the technician will install the meter. If not, the installation will not be able to proceed and you may be charged a wasted visit fee. If this occurs, AGL will notify you and arrange for a second installation attempt once the issue has been satisfactorily resolved.
AGL will send you an SMS confirmation once the installation is complete.
Fees and charges
While there is no installation fee from AGL for the meter installation, your electrician (or Accredited Service Provider) may charge for their services. In addition, for new connections, a National Metering Identifier (NMI) allocation fee will be charged by your Distributor and will appear on your first bill from AGL.
Please note that your acceptance of any standard fees is required as part of your application.
Once your meter installation and supply are complete, AGL will be your energy retailer and you will receive energy from us on the terms and conditions (including price) of our Standard Retail Contract.
We have other great offers available. You can select one of these offers by logging in to My Account or contacting us on 131 245.
Roles and responsibilities
- To arrange a meter installation, you will need to contact an ASP who will liaise with the Distributor in your area as well as fill out AGL’s customer application form.
- Your Meter Service Provider is responsible for installing the meter. AGL will appoint a Meter Service Provider for you.
- Your Distributor and your ASP are responsible for arranging the supply of electricity to your property. AGL and your Meter Service Provider will liaise with the Distributor to ensure supply.
FAQs about electricity meters