Change or remove your electricity or gas meter
Need to make a change to your meter, or even get rid of it for good? Here's where to get started.
Change or remove your electricity meter
If you need your electricity meter changed or removed, please contact our new connections team on 1800 680 430.
If a connection alteration is needed, we’ll arrange a date with you and the distributor or within 15 days from when you make the request.
If a connection alteration is not needed, we’ll arrange to install your new meter on a date agreed with you or within 15 business days from when you make the request.
Change or remove your gas meter
Here’s how to change or remove your gas meter in New South Wales.
Submitting your application
Complete our Application for Residential Gas form.
If you are removing your gas meter and there's a third party who will be billed for the removal (such as a demolition company), you'll need their authorisation.
Processing your application
We’ll check the details and pass along this request to the distributor in 3-5 business days.
When your work order is accepted, the distributor will make the changes to your meter (they’ll need access to your site).
Completion of the request
We'll send you an SMS once your change or removal is complete.
FAQs about changing or removing a gas or electricity meter
It will take up to 15 business days to complete a standard work request (unless a specific date has been agreed directly with you). Please note the following exceptions:
- A safe environment (nothing to prevent installation such as a loose switchboard, exposed wires or a point of attachment that is too high or low).
- Clear access to the meter box
- Unlocked gates
- Installing the meter will not disrupt another customers electricity supply
- For complex meter exchanges the distributor needs to undertake any supply related pre-work prior to the meter being installed
- If you have life support equipment, an appointment is always required
- You don't have an agreement with us to install the meter.