Gas leaks and safety

Manage gas leaks, service interruptions and new connections in your home.

In case of emergency

If you believe there is a major gas leak and the situation may be dangerous to life or property, call 000 now.

Suspect a gas leak?

A gas leak can pose a potential danger to those in your household. If you can smell gas:

  1. Try to find the source of the smell. Look at your stove gas burner, other gas appliances or the piping near your gas meter.
  2. If you cannot identify the source or it is coming from an appliance that is turned off, switch the natural gas handle on your meter to the off position.
  3. Open your windows for better ventilation. Check that stove burners, naked flames, and pilot lights are off. Finally, turn off your electricity at the fuse box.
  4. From outside the house, call your local licensed plumber or gas fitter. If you are renting, call your real estate agent.

Notify your gas distributor

As well as a licensed plumber or gas fitter, call your local gas distributor. You can find their number on your AGL bill. If you know the name of your distributor, you can find their number below. Otherwise, find out who distributes gas to your area at Australian Energy Regulator.

Distributor Contact details
Jemena Gas Networks

1300 137 078

www.jemena.com.au

When to contact us

If any of the following applies to you, get in touch with us:

  • You have no gas at all
  • Your gas has been disconnected in error
  • Your meter has been stolen
  • You require a meter re-light (for example, if construction work has occurred on your street)
  • You can smell gas coming directly from the meter

Gas systems safety

There are some things you can do to stay safe when choosing and using gas systems in your home.

When buying a gas appliance, it must be certified by an industry body prior to sale, carry a certification label, and meet the approved standards of the Australian Gas Association (AGA) or Standards Australia International Global. Appliances must carry a compliance plate with an AGA approval number.

You can check what certification labels to look out for at Australian Gas Association.

Appliances must carry a compliance plate with an AGA approval number. This confirms they are designed to run specifically on natural gas. If you buy a second-hand gas appliance, always check the compliance plate and have it installed by a licensed gasfitter.

Never connect liquid petroleum or LP gas to a natural gas appliance, unless it’s been converted by a licensed gasfitter or the appliance manufacturer. Likewise, only use your gas appliances for the jobs they're designed to do. It's dangerous to use a gas stove to heat a room, or to try to cook on a heater.

It is important to use a licensed gasfitter as they can only install certified products, so that you can be sure of your safety and that you are meeting regulations. A licensed gasfitter should also give you a compliance certificate once they have installed your gas system.

You can find a licensed gasfitter through the below regulators.

State regulator Phone number
ACT

ACT Planning and Land Authority

(02) 6207 1923

NSW

NSW Fair Trading

13 32 20

QLD

Building Services Authority

1300 272 272

SA

Consumer and Business Services

131 882

VIC

Energy Safe Victoria

1800 815 721

WA

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

(08) 6251 2000

Regularly clean your gas appliances and pay attention to service records, making sure you only have work done by a licensed professional.

How do you know if your gas appliance is working properly? Check if the flame burns blue. If the flame continuously burns yellow, it's time to get it serviced by a licensed gasfitter. If you experience headaches, drowsiness, sore eyes or throat when using a gas appliance, turn it off immediately and ventilate the area. Do not use the appliance again until it has been checked by a licensed gasfitter.

Regularly servicing your gas heater reduces the risk of it releasing carbon monoxide, an odourless gas that can cause chronic illness or even death.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include:

  • tiredness
  • shortness of breath
  • headaches
  • nausea and vomiting
  • weakness and sleepiness.

Extreme cases can cause confusion, loss of consciousness or death.

To help with a diagnosis, let your medical professional know if you feel better when in the fresh air or if other members of the house - including pets - have similar symptoms. The elderly, children, unborn babies and people with heart disease and anaemia can be particularly susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Unflued gas heaters (those without a chimney) need proper permanent ventilation and can only be used in rooms that are a certain size. Before you buy, check with the appliance retailer or a licensed gasfitter to make sure they’re suitable for your home.


Need support?

Call

In case of emergency.

Call 000 now
More ways to get support

For interpreter services, services for hearing and impaired customers or the number to call if you’re overseas, visit Contact us.