Your usage refers to the amount of energy you have used in a given period, measured in kWh (kilowatt hours) for electricity and MJ (megajoules) for gas.
Usage charges refer to the cost of your usage for a given period in dollars, exclusive of any supply charges, unbilled charges, credits or pay on time discounts.
Usage charges (variable charges) could be made up of:
- The amount of gas or electricity used during the bill period.
- Any credits for solar generated and exported to the grid.
- Additions such as Carbon Neutral.
- The usage rates that apply under your energy contract.
- The costs of maintaining and operating the distribution and transmission networks, and some of the operational costs of supplying customers.
The majority of costs associated with government green schemes are generally recovered through the usage charges.
You may also be interested in:
How energy is priced
Usage calculations in My Account and the AGL app