A small contribution makes a big difference
It's easy to take control of your carbon impact. Sign up for Future Forests and make a difference, the smart and simple way.
For just a dollar a week, we’ll help offset the carbon emissions from your household electricity usage. By signing up, you'll be taking carbon out of the air, reducing your impact on the environment.
What is Future Forests?
As Australia transitions to a cleaner energy future, carbon emissions remain a reality. Future Forests is an opt-in program for customers who want to reduce the environmental impact of their household electricity usage.
How does the Future Forests program work?
100% of your contribution goes towards certified carbon offset projects. First, we track how much electricity you use. Then at the end of the period, we purchase carbon credits to offset your usage. For more information on how the program works, refer to the FAQs section below.
- We use only Australian forestry carbon credits to offset the carbon emissions associated with your electricity usage.
- 100% of customer contributions (less GST) will go toward purchasing carbon credits.
- By purchasing carbon credits, we will support reinvestment into further Australian tree planting programs.
- We will publish online reporting on our customers' electricity consumption and resulting carbon emissions on a quarterly basis.
- We will publish annually the independently audited results of the Future Forests program.
- We will calculate the emissions of Future Forests customers using the emissions factors for consumption of purchase electricity from the grid. This is published annually for each state by the Australian Government Department of the Environment in the National Greenhouse Accounts Factors.
- We will regularly update our customers on the progress made in tree planting programs.
- Customers may choose to leave Future Forests at any time without penalty.
- We will minimise the usage of paper in our communications to you as part of the Future Forests program.
- We will notify you if any of these commitments change.
The Future Forests FY18 Annual Report
We’re serious about our commitment to a transparent carbon offset program. That's why the Future Forests Annual Report is produced and independently audited every financial year. It’s part of how we’re delivering on our promise for a sustainable energy future.
View the latest Future Forest reports
First, we check how much electricity you've used at home. With this data, we can calculate the carbon emissions generated from your usage using official estimates from the Australian Government Department of the Environment.
We can then purchase the equivalent number of carbon credits or offsets from our suppliers, representing the removal of that amount of carbon from the atmosphere. Visit the Department of Environment and Energy to learn more about carbon calculations for your state.
Future Forests is independently audited each year with the results published as part of AGL's annual Sustainability Report as well as a standalone Future Forest Program Annual Report. 100% of customer contributions go toward purchasing carbon offset credits.
Future Forests offsets 100% of your household electricity carbon emissions. This is calculated using your household's actual electricity usage and the carbon intensity of electricity generation in your State. These figures are provided by the Australian Government Department of the Environment and is usually updated on an annual basis. Visit the Department of Environment and Energy to learn more.