A small contribution makes a big difference
It's easy to take control of your carbon impact. Sign up for Future Forests and make a difference, the smart and simple way.
For just a dollar a week, we’ll help fund projects to grow Australia's forests of the future. By signing up, you'll be taking carbon out of the air, reducing your impact on the environment.
What is Future Forests?
As Australia transitions to a cleaner energy future, carbon emissions remain a reality. Future Forests is an opt-in program for customers who want to reduce the environmental impact of their home energy use. For just a dollar a week, you can offset the carbon emissions associated with your household's electricity usage and fund the production of new Australian native forests.
How does the Future Forests program work?
100% of your contribution goes towards certified carbon offset projects. First, we track how much energy you use. Then at the end of the period, we purchase carbon credits to offset your usage. The purchase of these credits helps our partners plant new native Australian forests in recognised biodiversity hotspots. For more information on how the program works, refer to the FAQs section below.
- We use only Australian forestry carbon credits to offset the carbon emissions associated with your electricity usage.
- 100% of customer contributions (less GST) will go toward purchasing carbon credits.
- By purchasing carbon credits, we will support reinvestment into further Australian tree planting programs.
- We will publish online reporting on our customers' energy consumption and resulting carbon emissions on a quarterly basis.
- We will publish annually the independently audited results of the Future Forests program.
- We will calculate the emissions of Future Forests customers using the emissions factors for consumption of purchase electricity from the grid. This is published annually for each state by the Australian Government Department of the Environment in the National Greenhouse Accounts Factors.
- We will regularly update our customers on the progress made in tree planting programs.
- Customers may choose to leave Future Forests at any time without penalty.
- We will minimise the usage of paper in our communications to you as part of the Future Forests program.
- We will notify you if any of these commitments change.
The Future Forests FY17 Annual Report
It’s estimated that’s the equivalent of planting approximately 56,615 trees according to market intel, based on one tonne of carbon dioxide being sequestered by approximately 7 trees.
We’re serious about our commitment to a transparent carbon offset program. That's why the Future Forests Annual Report is produced and independently audited every financial year. It’s part of how we’re delivering on our promise for a sustainable energy future.
View the latest Future Forest reports
First, we check how much electricity you've used at home. With this data, we can calculate the carbon emissions generated from your usage using official estimates from the Australian Government Department of the Environment.
We can then purchase the equivalent number of carbon credits or offsets from our suppliers, representing the removal of that amount of carbon from the atmosphere. Visit the Department of Environment and Energy to learn more about carbon calculations for your state.
Western Australia's Wheatbelt region and Yarra Yarra Biodiversity Corridor – where over 90% of land has been clearer for agriculture – are the two target areas for planting the Future Forests trees.
Leading scientists and conservation groups, including Conservation International and the WWF, have identified both areas as biodiversity hotspots. These unique areas offer an opportunity to create a habitat for a wide range of Australian flora and fauna species.
Future Forests is independently audited each year with the results published as part of AGL's annual Sustainability Report. 100% of customer contributions go toward purchasing carbon offset credits, less GST.
The carbon offsets we purchase are also backed by the Australian and international standards, such as the WWF's Gold Standard. The Gold Standard is regarded as one of the highest standards of carbon credits in the world.
We also share regular updates via email so you can see what's happening with your Future Forests contribution.
Future Forests offsets 100% of your household electricity carbon emissions. This is calculated using your household's actual electricity usage and the carbon intensity of electricity generation in your State. These figures are provided by the Australian Government Department of the Environment.
*This figure is based on the total associated electricity usage of our customers on the Future Forests program, between 1 July 2016 and 30 June 2017. The carbon impacts were calculated using the Australian Government National Greenhouse Factors for July 2017.
^Our current carbon offset supplier has conservatively estimated that one tonne of carbon dioxide is sequestered by 7 trees, although this can vary from 4 to 15 depending on the site, terrain and rainfall.