Our recruitment process varies depending on the role but here are a list of the steps you will generally go through.
You can submit a cover letter, but it’s okay if you don’t have one. Either way, be sure to submit your resume when completing your job application.
When writing your resume things you may like to consider:
- Put your most relevant experience in the first couple of pages.
- When it comes to CV length, one size doesn’t fit all. Nonetheless, avoid one-page resumes as it’s hard to convey enough detail. Three to four pages is ideal – stretch to five if you’re sure everything included is important to the role.
- Ensure your resume is saved as a .doc, .docx or .pdf so that the recipient can easily open it.
2. Phone Interview
We call you to discuss your application in more detail and to get to know you a bit better. It’s also an opportunity for you learn a bit more about the role and AGL.
3. Formal Interview
This is where it becomes a bit more formal. You’ll either come into the office or have a virtual interview with the Hiring Leader.
Be prepared to answer a series of questions about how your background and experience that match the role you’ve applied for. Try and follow the STAR format as best as possible.
Other things you may like to consider:
- Dress the part.
- Try and be on time and if you’re not going to be or need to reschedule, reach out and let us know as soon as you can.
- Be authentic - we want to get to know the real you.
Sometimes we run a second-round interview. This is generally a more informal chat where you meet with someone more senior in the business so they can get to know you too.
We might ask you to complete an assessment to get a bit more information about your cognitive ability and your behaviours in the workplace.
This is an online tool that’s easy and convenient for you to use. We give you a couple of days to complete it too.
5. References and Background Checks
This is when we conduct pre-employment screening. We ask for two references, who should generally be recent employers. Other things we look at are whether you have any criminal convictions and whether you have the right to work in Australia.
6. Medical checks
Usually conducted for site-based roles, we organise a medical appointment for you with a doctor and or physiotherapist. Safety is important to us and we want to ensure you have the physical capability to perform the inherent requirements of the role.
If you are successful, we will give you a call to let you know the good news!
We talk to you about when a good start date would be and how much an appropriate amount is to pay you. If you accept we then make a formal written offer to you.
8. Commitment to the Circle Back Initiative
We are proud to be a member of the ‘Circle Back Initiative’ and are committed to a response to every candidate that applies to AGL. Find out more here.