Skip to main content

What is a concession for gas and electricity?

Did you know government concessions can help pay your bill? We explore some of these options.

Did you know there are government concessions designed to help with paying your bill?

If you have one of the below concession cards, you might be eligible for a concession on your gas or electricity bills.

  • Health Care Card
  • Pensioners Card
  • Department of Veterans Affairs or DVA Card.

Alternatively, if you don’t have one of the above concession cards, you still might be able to benefit from a concession. Depending on your state, you may be entitled to receive one of the following concessions: 


  • Annual Electricity Concession – 17.5% off payable electricity charges, applied all year
  • Winter Gas Concession – 17.5% off payable gas charges, applied from May 1 to October 31 each year
  • Controlled Load Concession – 13% off seperately metered and invoiced hot water charges all year


  • Electricity Rebate – Up to $372.20 per year off electricity charges, applied as a daily rate 
  • Reticulated Natural Gas Rebate – Up to $80.77 per year off gas charges, applied as a daily rate


  • Low Income Household Rebate – Up to $285 per year off your electricity charges, applied as a daily rate
  • NSW Gas rebate –  Up to $110 per year off gas charges, applied a daily rate


  • Energy Bill Concession – Up to $241.63 per year off your electricity charges, applied as a daily rate.

What other concessions could you apply for?


If you hold a valid Seniors card, you could be eligible for some state-based concessions as an AGL energy customer. We also offer specific energy products for eligible seniors.

Life Support or Medical Cooling concession

There are also concessions available in each state if you have a clinically verified medical condition that requires ongoing or frequent use of either life support, heating or cooling equipment that assist in reducing your energy costs to operate this equipment in your home.

Some of this equipment includes:

  • Oxygen concentrator
  • Haemodialysis machine
  • Phototherapy equipment

Some of these medical conditions include:

  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Lymphoedema
  • Parkinson’s Disease.

There are also specific equipment or medical conditions that require assessment and approval from the respective state government department.

Learn more about how we can assist with these concessions or contact us at 131 245.

Are there other grants or rebates I might be eligible for?

Financial Crisis or Emergency Assistance Support

There are other government grants that you may be eligible for if you’re a low-income household experiencing financial difficulties or an unexpected or short-term financial crisis in being able to pay for your energy bills. These schemes are state specific: 

  • VIC: Utlitity Relief Grant Scheme – You may be eligible to receive up to $650 per utility (electricity and gas) over two years towards your utilities 
  • QLD: Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme – You may be eligible to receive up to a $720 one off payment every two years towards your utilities
  • NSW: Energy Accounts Payment Assistance – You may be eligible to receive $50 incremental payments (capped) over two years towards your utilities 
  • SA: Emergency Electricity Payment Scheme – You may be eligible to receive up to $400 towards your electricity account, every three years

Non-Mains Energy Concession (VIC only)

In Victoria, if you heat your house with bottled gas, LPG gas or firewood, you might be able to get the Non-Mains Energy Concession.

To get the Non-Mains Energy Concession, you must fill out a form from the Department of Health and Human Services or your bottled gas supplier. If you use firewood, be sure to keep a copy of your firewood receipts.

How to check your concessions

To add an eligible concession card to your AGL account, get in touch with us to start the validation process. Once your concession has been validated, it will be applied to your bill.

You also need to contact us if anything changes to ensure your concession is valid and applied correctly. For example:

  • If you get a new concession card,
  • If you move to a new house, or
  • If your concession card changes.

Or you can always call us (131 245) to discuss what options work best for you.

Are you eligible for a concession?

Check if you're eligible for concessions on your electricity and gas and learn how to apply.

Related articles